Saturday 31st October 2015 – FA Vase 1st Round

Godmanchester Rovers 1 Mildenhall Town 1

1-1 after 90 mins.

Att: 128
Man of the Match: Mike Hyem (Goddy Rovers)



Looking at the video footage it was apparent that we were unsurprising involved in a typically scrappy cup tie against our well known visitors.

Although a scrappy game we had 26 efforts on the opponents goal to their 11.

We nearly had the dream start when Tom Spark curled a wonderful effort goalward after a trade mark Hyem burst, which saw a scrambling Pope get the merest of touches to turn the ball against the bar and away to safety.

On 20 minutes more good work from Hyem saw him release James Hall who with only the keeper to beat dragged his shot wide of the target.

Minutes later Bowen had a header cleared off the line from a Spark set play before Hall was inches from opening the score after lobbing Pope only to see the ball loop onto the top of the netting.

In a rare piece of quality a 5 man move saw us open Town up, with Parr crossing for Diaper who lashed a shot over the bar.

Despite having 5 great chances we only forced 1 save from the keeper and didn’t have the goal that despite not dominating, we deserved with the only glimpses of football on display.

Mildenhall started the second half in lively fashion and Niall had to be sharp to block with his legs after a great run and effort from the industrious Dan Brown. The resulting corner saw Butchers header glance the post.

On 55 minutes we played through the thirds , McDonald released Hyem who had made a great run beyond Hall. With plenty to do , Micky rounded the keeper, faked to shoot, sat another player down before composing himself and smashing into the corner past a covering player.

It was a super goal, and no more than we deserved on chances created.

Hyem saw another shot go wide on the hour. But as we tell the boys, every team will have their spell and for 10 minutes Mildenhall put us under pressure. Although not creating much, they started to deliver the ball in with good quality and ask questions of our back line who had dealt with the long direct style all afternoon.

On 70 minutes the equiliser came and fair play, it was well worked down our right flank. An excellent delivery from the byline saw Enaro control and fire home to restore parity.

Minutes later Diaper latched onto a knock down but saw his effort agonisingly hit the post and roll along the line for Pope to gratefully fall on.

Extra time ensued and after another scrappy first period, we laid siege to the Town goal. In the last minute Yeomens blasted a shot from point blank range which Pope wonderfully blocked with his legs to make sure we do it all again at the Recreation Ground on Tuesday night.

See you at the far post.

Matty H